POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : My animation crashed POV-RAY : Re: My animation crashed POV-RAY Server Time
29 Apr 2024 13:56:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My animation crashed POV-RAY
From: melo
Date: 24 Feb 2008 18:00:01
Message: <web.47c1f643e2d08be6587ef5e20@news.povray.org>
Leroy <lrw### [at] joplincom> wrote:

Well, I started implementing Chris's idea in reverse order, that is made a copy
of the non-working scene code and proceeded to commenting out blocks that
looked suspicious until I got a working version; I had too many nested Unions,
I reduced some.  added some more debugging statements.. and valla, I discovered
what I managed to do.

I feel very embarrassed.  Well it answered one question in my mind.  I was
wondering if POV-RAY could handle recursion.  Well, a macro definitely could
call itself.  That is the good news ;).

It appeared I accidentally pasted a call to self in my ever growing
Move_Humanoid macro.  The poor thing kept calling itself over and over again
without any recursion termination criteria.  Until POV_RAY decided to catch the
poor me, and threw an exception error.  Did I manage to get POV-RAY run out of
my 2GB of RAM?  Who knows?

Thanks Leroy.  Forgetting the pound sign, and POV-RAY not catching it.  That is
really good to know.  As my fingers type they refuse to add the # sign at
times, especially to language constructs that are common to so many other
languages. It will be an easy trap for me to fall into.

Well, now that I am beyond one hurdle I am caught by another trap which leaves
me scratching my head.  Now what, what might have done to bring this on?  The
error messages unfortunately are not helping me to identify the cause of the
problems I ran into.  Each time I ran into a problem I go around circles for
days. Please tell me if the following error message rings any bells for you?

   Parse Error: Expected String expression, object found instead.

here is the section including the line POV-RAY highlights, I marked it by >>>
<<<< arrows for your reference..

  ...  snip lots of lines before

   #if ( !VZero( AVAR[PCFlag][HumanoidRoot_Ind] ) )
      Rotate_Around_Trans( AVAR[PCFlag][HumanoidRoot_Ind], JOC_L_Subtalar ) //
+Joint_Radius_Heal
      #debug concat( "Rotating about HumanoidRoot by ", vstr( 3,
AVAR[PCFlag][HumanoidRoot_Ind], ", ", 3, 0 ) )
   #end

   texture { Silver_Texture }
   };

   #declare Human_Trans =
      transform {
         scale 1.5
         translate -1.0*y
   };

>>> object{ <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
      Humanoid
      transform { Human_Trans }
   }

#end // macro move_Humanoid

  ... snip lots of lines after

I scanned the code for all my strings to make sure all had openning and clossing
quotes.  They had.  Thanks to POV-RAY editor, they get color coded anyways when
they mismatch.   SOOO, what the heck might have done this time.
The higlighted object statement is the statement that was supposed to render
Humanoid in his/her new pose.

There I go, one step forward, two steps back.